Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Apparently I am a Moron

Today I had more fun with a law professor than I have ever had.

It started innocently enough. We were having a conversation about the separation of church and state. I can't exactly say how it happened but the conversation devolved into an argument about how any reasonable person could possibly believe in Christ's resurrection, walking on water, raising people from the dead, or the emaculate conception.

According to my professor I am a brainwashed moron, incapable of rational thought. No reasonable person can possibly believe that Jesus was resurrected. No sane person could possibly believe in the emaculate conception.

This conversation occured in the lobby of the school. There were several observers who seemed a bit shocked at my professor's tone, volume, and vocabulary. There was a slight giggle when he said, "We should stop talking before I start to get insulting."

I don't really care about the argument. I was kind of having fun. I've spent years defending my belief in God against accusations of diminished mental capacity, dishonesty, and brainwashing. I was a pro at it for 2 years.

What really made me laugh is the degree to which the professor became animated in public. I like the guy. I really do. I just wonder how he could lack the common sense to hold off on that kind of talk until we were in the privacy of his office.

The faces of my classmates were priceless. I can't wait to see who sends an email of complaint to the Dean. I'll be the first to defend the professor but I will laugh out loud with him about being dumb enough to try to have a spirited conversation in a school where every little non PC comment is the subject of an inquisition.

For the record... I do believe in God... I don't know if I'm a moron or not but if I am... I'm ok with that.

No comments: