Sunday, May 20, 2007

Unknown Gunman Kills [blank] in [blank]

Last night my wife and I were sitting in bed when we heard the sound of an automatic weapon firing somewhere in the distance. It's not a common sound. It's not a sound most people would recognize. Had I not spent a few years in the armed forces I wouldn't have recognized it myself.

This morning we woke up to news reports that a man with a gun fired into the courthouse to draw police into the open. When an officer responded he was gunned down, when another officer attempted to help the first officer he too was shot as was a civilian who apparently came out of his house and also attempted to help. The gunman was later found dead in a nearby church. He took his own life but not before killing the elderly sexton who lived in the church.

Just yesterday I joked about how quiet Moscow was becoming now that everybody has left for the summer. Not so much...

No comments: