Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Let's NOT Promote Diversity...

As I walked down the hall today I passed a pair of classmates engaged in a spirited conversation. I didn't stop to listen in but I did hear the phrase "promote diversity" several times. I didn't think much of it since this is a common topic of conversation here in the law building. As I continued on to my class I passed another group of students who seemed to be having the exact same conversation. For a minute I thought all four students may have come from the same room and were all just finishing up a discussion that had begun in the last class.

But they weren't... They are from different classes (1L,2L,3L) and the only class or meetings just to let out were not likely to have dealt with promoting diversity.

I thought about it for a minute or two... I don't recall the last time I went a day without hearing the phrase "promote diversity." I have decided that I am sick of it.

I know that most people who "promote diversity" would say they aren't trying to promote differences. They always seem to say they are promoting community and cooperation. But are they really?

How does it make people feel to have someone constantly telling them that they need to be more diverse? It's like saying my school, community, or social group sucks because we're a few members short of a standard platoon. Are they saying that we need to import some superior group of individuals? Am I supposed to hang my head in shame because I have failed to recruit the right players for my team?

I think all these people who want to promote diversity are operating under the false idea that everybody wants to go into places where they are different and unique. Perhaps they think we hate comfort?

I'm sure there are plenty of schools across the country where Mormons are rare. I assume the promoters of diversity would love to pat themselves on the back for having a rich assortment of religious beliefs in their community. But what if I don't want to go there? Does that mean they're somehow flawed?

No... I like it here. I don't have anything against them or their schools. I don't feel they lack anything because they're short on married guys from Utah and I don't think they should cry themselves to sleep at night about it.

Did anyone ever stop to think that the apparent lack of diversity may have something to do with the fact that some "diverse" groups don't want to hang out with me? Do they think it makes me feel good to know that not everyone in the world wants to be my friend and neighbor?

How does this promote community? Now I feel like there is some other group out there that has something I don't. They're better than me. They're different from me. Those friggin' snobs! What makes them think they're so special? What have they got that I don't have?

How about we just let people go where they want to go? Quit trying to herd me off to some place I don't want to go. Leave me alone.

No comments: