Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Better People

Wouldn't it be nice to be a good person? I run in to good people all the time. A salesman at a store who went out of his way to help my wife and me, a guy standing in front of me in line at Costco who let me go ahead, the guy who ran down my car to tell me my trunk was open...

I wonder if these peope are good people all the time. Do they constantly impress others with thier good deeds or do I only catch them at their best? Are they really a jerk 90% of the time like me?

I'd like to be a good person. I think the only thing worse than knowing you're a jerk is realizing when you've missed the opportunity to be something other than a jerk. I hate it when somebody tells me about something they've recently dealt with and I think to myself... If I had known I could have helped out with that.

Maybe that is the key... You have to be observant to be a good person. So maybe good people aren't really good people at all, they're just smart people. Maybe I'm not a jerk, I'm just clueless...

I like that better. I'm not a jerk, I'm just dumb.

To all those I have failed to help: I'm sorry... I don't hate you, I'm just not that bright.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.